6 Easy Steps to Getting Your Bahamas Marriage License
The following must be noted when applying for a Bahamas Marriage License.
- Bahamians over the age of 40, who do not present a certified copy of a divorce decree or death certificate of a spouse, must wait for a search to be conducted of the records of marriage to ensure that they have not been married before. This search may take up to two weeks.
- Both individuals must complete the application form and be present at the Registrar General’s Department at the time of application for the marriage license.
- Non-Bahamians must prove that they have been in The Bahamas at least 24 hours. They are required to present their Immigration Cards as proof of entry.
- If either person is under the age of 18 they require a Certificate of Consent to Marriage By A Minor (Section 19. Chapter 88).
- Divorcees/Widows/Widowers – Certified copies of final divorce decrees and certified copies of death certificates must be attached to the application if necessary.
- Application between Bahamian and Non-Bahamian – When there is an application for marriage between a Bahamian and a Non-Bahamian, the couple is interviewed separately to avoid facilitating a marriage of convenience.
- Non-Bahamian applicants are interviewed by either the Registrars or any of the five designated Marriage Officers.
- Marriage Officers – The Registrar General, the Deputy Registrar, Assistant Registrar, Family Island Administrators or Commissioners, and Supreme Court Magistrates are Marriage Officers by virtue of their appointment. Justices of the Peace are not Marriage Officers although there are certain Marriage Officers who are Justices of the Peace.
Feel free to email any question you may have about getting a Bahamas Marriage License to email@example.com or Tel: 1-(242)-327-2453 or Whatsapp 1-(242)-395-8495